The New Yorker has been around since 1925, but didn’t publish a single photograph for its first forty-six years. That changed in 1971, when a tiny photo of a bonnet-clad piglet made an appearance on page 64 of the issue of January 30th. Twenty-one more years passed until magazine took on its first staff photographer: Richard Avedon.
Two years ago, The New Yorker’s embrace of photography expanded to include Photo Booth, and today we’re introducing a new design for Photo Booth, including a new fullscreen slide-show function. In celebration of our renovation, here’s a look back at Avedon’s portraits of writers commissioned by The New Yorker…
Click-through to read more from Maria Lokke on Richard Avedon and the history of photography at The New Yorker: http://nyr.kr/TLcM3H